Monday, August 17, 2015

The Sunday After Midnight (2014)

Midnight, my prized stray cat, passed away one year ago today. He was a true friend to me, in spite of my severe allergy to cats. Some things can't be explained; except to say that he came along right when I needed a companion the most. This is free verse but it has a rhythm if read properly. 

You could never tell where the kitten
would be sittin’.
He had so many places he liked to hide.

In the summer it was the porch
lying in the shade.
In the winter he found shelter inside.

In the garage there was a heating pad and chair.
And on summer stormy nights
there was a Christmas tree in there,
and he took special comfort from the lights.

We ran them anytime,
when the wind began to whine
or thunder cracked.

And it worked in winter, too,
making him feel that he was warmer than he was.
He loved that tree.

And the shadow from the lights grew longer
as the kittens time grew shorter;
‘til there was an empty place on my porch.

In my garage, the Christmas tree is gone;
the lights only lit the empty spaces in the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment